With Valentine’s Day on Friday, we at The College Reporter want to congratulate our friends who are happily taken. While you guys are having your candlelit dinners and feeding each other chocolate-covered chocolate, we want to remind our single friends how much fun Valentine’s Day can be, even if you’re not part of a duo. Unlike any romantic Valentine’s Day ballads playing on your local radio station this Friday, this one goes out to you guys:
1) Take a break from dhall and have a potluck dinner with your not-otherwise-engaged friends. Enjoy the great food and great company. Without the expense of some over-priced restaurant, you can still eat deliciously within the comfort of your own home.
2) Plan a fun group outing. Laser Tag, ice skate, see a movie or go bowling and up the competition: who- ever takes the most SnapChats of cutesy couples making out by the end of the night wins!
3) Relish in the fact that you don’t have to get anyone for a gift. Did you miss some hours at work these past couple of weeks because of the snow/ice days? Luckily your income won’t take another dive by buying jewelry or chocolate for a significant other.
4) Use Tinder for the ego boost. This one is pretty self explanatory.
5) Go out with a friend platonically and fake propose in public. Earn extra College Reporter Points (non- refundable and non-exchangeable for any goods or purposeful material items of any kind) if you have a third friend sit at another table and freak out over her “boyfriend” proposing to a different girl! This activity is all about making people outside of your inner circle feel bad, which is basically what Valentine’s Day is all about.
6) Make valentines cards for your friends. Relive your elementary school years by giving out decorated doilies to everyone at the top of your friends list. Extra points if you can write a secret message to your crush, such as, “Roses Are Red, Violets Are Blue, Sloane Will You Date Me I’ve Been Into You For A Really Long Time, Ditch Dan, Love Justin.” …Or, maybe you don’t have to be so secretive.
Anyway, we hope regardless of your relationship status that you can make this Friday extra special and fun. And if Friday sucks, here’s a pro tip: all the candy in CVS will be half-off on Saturday.
The College Reporter Staff