Are you spending a long weekend in the best city in the world? There is something for everyone in the city that never sleeps. Take a quick getaway with tons of great food, culture and energy!
- Begin your adventure with coffee and a pastry at Zibetto Coffee — one of the best Italian coffees outside of Rome, Milan & Florence. I like this because the pastries are light and fluffy while the coffee is rich and flavorful. 1221 6th Ave, New York, NY 10020
- Walk through Central Park! Every lamppost in the park has a number near the base. The first two digits tell you the nearest street (Central Park stretches from 59th Street to 110th Street). The final two digits indicate which side of the park you’re in — even numbers mean east and odd mean west.
- Visit the Metropolitan Museum of Art on 1000 Fifth Avenue @ 83rd Street. The Exhibits are ever-changing, but the upcoming exhibit on The Harlem Renaissance sounds incredibly interesting as well as the upcoming exhibit on Product Photography.
- Have black and white cookies at William Greenberg on Madison Avenue @ 82/83rd Street.
- After your cookies, check out shops and galleries along Madison Avenue such as Gagosian, Mnuchin, Ralph Lauren, Zitomer Drug Store, and Michael’s Resale.
- Continue uptown to The Museum of the City of New York on 1220 Fifth Avenue @ 103rd Street.
- Take a walk around Harlem then consider the following for dinner!
- Head back downtown to check out some clubs or music venues!
- Kick-off in Chinatown for dim sum!
- Walk around Chinatown, Little Italy and the Lower East Side.
- Visit The Tenement Museum
- The New Museum
- Have a snack at Essex Market
- If you are STILL hungry, head to the famous Katz’ Deli
- Check out Domino Park and then take the Ferry to Govenor’s Island
- Make your way back and try the tickets booth in Times Square for discount tickets to a Broadway Show.
- Have dinner at Boqueria Times Square on 260 West 40th Street.
- Take a stroll around FiDi and visit The Tin Building and have a great breakfast on 96 South Street at Pier 17.
- Head to the Staten Island Ferry to see the Statue of Liberty (just passing by) or GO to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island
- Visit the 9/11 Memorial on 180 Greenwich Street
- Shop at Century 21 on 22 Cortlandt Street
- Walk up through Soho and the Meatpacking District.
- Check out Little Island on Westside Highway at 14th Street.
- The Whitney Museum at 99 Gansevoort Street
- After The Whitney, walk The Highline stopping off at Chelsea Market for a snack (you walk right through it while walking on the Highline!)
- Continue up to the Upper West Side and visit The Museum of Natural History on 200 Central Park West at 80th Street
- Eat again at Zabars! Grab a bagel with lox and a “schmear” on Broadway and 80th Street.
There is NEVER enough time to explore all of New York City, so make a list of the new things you want to try the next time you visit!
Freshman Jonah Schumeister is a Contributing Writer. His email is firstname.lastname@example.org.